Saturday, September 27, 2014

Classic, Old, and New? Best, Better or... just Okay?

Yesterday I got to watch Walt Disney's first feature film, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs; it was immensely interesting to see how many times I and my friends genuinely laughed at the humor. It was witty and creative, yet simple. Even more interesting than this though, was that afterward we watched a portion of Beauty and the Beast - another great Disney with unique laughs, but more emotional drive similar to Snow White or other classics.
However, what wasn't truly interesting about everything I was thinking during these films, was unimpressed I still remained with Frozen and Tangled's quality. No they are not bad films, and yes they have some good laughs as well, but they fall flat on structure; I didn't feel like I needed to re-watch them nor ever own them to show others my appreciation for their style. Like I said, they're still a good style, but the last awesome children's film I saw recently was Pixar's Monsters University, and that's because I could relate to it more. 
Is that it then, relation? These new Disney tales of princesses are not relatable to me - but then I'm sure others will say (especially young women), "well that's because you're a guy and can't relate to stories about girls." And if that were so then I wouldn't enjoy or have as much association or empathy for Belle or Ariel, Cinderella or Snow White - except I do! 
So what is the difference? Does anyone else notice the lacking quality in female Disney flicks? 
The last epic or worthwhile Disney in my opinion was Tarzan, though Brother Bear was good too
Check out a few other favorites of mine (they're obvious really, but I love the pictures, lol): 
Pinocchio (1940) Poster Sleeping Beauty (1959) PosterThe Sword in the Stone (1963) PosterMary Poppins (1964) PosterBedknobs and Broomsticks (1971) PosterThe Great Mouse Detective (1986) PosterThe Rescuers Down Under (1990) PosterAladdin (1992) PosterPocahontas (1995) PosterThe Hunchback of Notre Dame (1996) PosterHercules (1997) PosterMulan (1998) Poster

No comments:

Post a Comment